Title: Human Resources Officer
Start Date: NLT September 8, 2014
Location: Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts in Natchitoches, Louisiana
Classification: 12-Month Unclassified
Pay: $40,000 - $43,000
Benefits: State of Louisiana employee health and retirement
Supervisor: Director of Finance and Operations
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Works closely with Director and Assistant Director/Comptroller to administer a
comprehensive personnel program and advises school administration on all human
capital issues.The HR Officer maintains and enhances the school’s human resources by
planning, implementing, and evaluating all facets of employee relations, hiring, discipline,
termination, compensation, benefits, leave, equal opportunity, and other related issues.
● Minimum of a baccalaureate degree in HR or related discipline or equivalent
professional HR certification
● Minimum of five years of professional level human resources experience
● Preferred experience working in a state agency and/or education institution
● Manage and enter bi-weekly payroll process
● Work closely with Office of Group Benefits (OGB), Teachers Retirement System of
Louisiana (TRSL), and Louisiana State Employees’ Retirement System (LASERS).
● Assists with accounts receivable, payable, and bank statement reconciliation
● Monthly group insurance reconciliation
● Balance biweekly payroll report to general ledger
● Reviews program operations to determine need for new or revised policies and
procedures. Drafts policy statements for review and approval by the Director.
● Interprets State Civil Service rules and regulations regarding personnel actions for
management, employees, and applicants.
● Maintains and inputs all personnel records, files, and reports - including all payroll,
forms, timesheets, contracts, etc.
● Works with department chairs or area directors to coordinate employee recruiting
and placement activities for the school.
● Apply up-to-date professional and technical knowledge gained by attending
seminars and conferences, and reviewing professional publications.
● Occasionally work extended hours including evenings and weekend school-related
● Participate in the day-to-day operations of the school business office.
● Perform other duties as assigned by Director or Assistant Director.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Demonstrate the highest level of ethical behavior
● Maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information
● Take initiative and work independently
● Communicate effectively verbally and in writing to all levels of staff and
administration, outside agencies, the public, and diverse groups.
● Excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate interaction with personnel
● Plan, organize, and prioritize work
● Accurately follow verbal and written directions from administration
● Work well under pressure
● Remain flexible in order to adapt to changes in the work environment
● Study and apply new information
● Excellent time-management, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills
● Work accurately with close attention to detail
● Posses a work ethic that includes neatness, punctuality, and accuracy
● Exhibit a professional, businesslike appearance and demeanor
● Advanced computer skills, including email, word processing, and spreadsheets
The Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts is the nation’s second
state-supported, residential high school for high ability and highly motivated sophomores,
juniors, and seniors. It remains the only such school to offer an extensive curriculum in
both math and science, and the humanities and creative and performing arts. The
performance of its students consistently ranks the school among the top public schools in
the nation. It is primarily funded annually through legislative appropriations. More
information about LSMSA can be found at the web site www.lsmsa.edu.
To apply, send a letter of application, resume, and transcript from the final degree
granting institution, and the names and contact information for three references to:
HR Officer Search
℅ John A. Allen, Director of Finance and Operations
Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts
715 University Parkway
Natchitoches, LA 71457
Electronic applications may be sent to email@example.com
All applicants must also complete the Standard Application Form before an interview can
be scheduled. This form is available at: http://www.lsmsa.edu/files/Standard Application.doc.
Review of applications will begin July 23 and remain open until the position is filled.
LSMSA actively supports Equal Employment Opportunities for all qualified applicants.