Great Dane rescued after 32 days of survival


    On Nov. 22, the day before Thanksgiving, a truck carrying two people and two great danes had a tire blow out on I-49 near Natchitoches. The truck traveled off of the interstate, struck a tree and caught fire. The driver was ejected and left with emergency personnel claiming moderate injuries, the passenger was killed along with one great dane. The other great dane, a blue female named Blue Bell, attempted to protect her owner by growling at the first people to respond. Something scared her away and she ran…her injuries were unknown and location was unknown.

    The driver succumbed to her injuries two days after the accident. Blue Bell was searched for…and searched for…and searched for! There were multiple possible sightings that all came back dead ends. The family was called in each time, and heartbroken each time it was dead end. Nothing was seen or heard of for a while…until Dec. 23.

    Over a month since the horrific accident, someone posted on social media Blue Bell was seen. Rescuers unsure, and didn’t want to claim it was her due to the family being disappointed before.  There was video…And hope.
    SRGDRR was notified through a Facebook tag, and immediately jumped into action. Within five minutes there was a group text made with everyone that needed to be involved in the area of Natchitoches. Blue Bell was spotted less than 1/2 mile from the accident scene. She was seen going under an old abandoned house with junk piled up all around it.

    This is a very dangerous area. Not only is it close to the interstate, it is full of wild predators. There are humans that would have considered shooting her in this area also.
    A SRGDRR volunteer was called into the area, with a two hour drive and met with a resident who had spotted her along with a Natchitoches Parish Deputy for safety reasons. It was now dark outside…another resident brought fried chicken strips.
    Now the fun part…to get eyes and hands on Blue Bell. Not knowing what they were walking into, they went in. She was under the house still, curled up trying to stay warm in the 30 degree weather. She had already survived an ice storm for two days and multiple heavy rain storms.

    They had eyes on her, she Was there.  She was so hungry, within 15 minutes they got a leash clipped on her collar, which still had her rabies tag on it. Her collar had about 8 inches between it and her neck she had lost so much weight…so they couldn’t pull her.

    1. Rescuers had to figure out a way to loop a leash on her. Blue Bell was rescued and headed to emergency vet. A full escort to the emergency vet was provided. Her back leg is mauled, crushed and broken…she was skin and bones, dehydrated and so weak. The doctor went hands on, picked her up and ran her inside immediately. Blue Bell, a 2 year old large great dane weighed in at only 73 pounds. She was confused because even though she had been through all of this…she Was not broken.   She approached for pats and for treats. She was happy to be warm and with people. The doctor took her in for IV fluids, pain meds and antibiotics.  Rescuers found out Blue Bell had Parvo last year and had beat it. She fought Parvo and won, and now was rescued over one month after being in a fiery high speed crash.

    Blue Bell is a Fighter.  She has a very long road ahead of her before she goes home to her family, who has lost three members including the other great dane due to this accident.

    The vet says she will need major surgery once she gains weight and energy and they clear the infection.   Organizers hope to this family to the point they have Nothing out of pocket.

    Dane rescued after 23 days of survivalThis is a true Christmas miracle.