It’s always fun to pop into a general store to poke your head around and see what’s on the shelves. You can find the most interesting, unique items in general stores that you just won’t find at your local supermarket.
Here are 7 general stores that you’re sure to love.
1. Kaffie-Frederick General Mercantile Nestled in the historic downtown district of Natchitoches, Kaffie-Frederick has been in business since 1963, making it the oldest general store in the state. From hardware to kitchen supplies, you’ll find everything you need here. (758 Front St, Natchitoches, Louisiana 71457)
2. Bayou General Store If you want to experience a true old-fashioned general store, this is the place to go. You can easily get lost browsing through all the merchandise here. (104 N Main St, Farmerville, Louisiana 71241)
3. Bayou Country General Store It’s hard to miss this bright yellow building off of I-10 in Slidell. Pick up some fun souvenirs, spices, pralines, gift baskets and more from the Bayou Country General Store. (1101 E Howze Beach Rd, Slidell, Louisiana 70461)
4. W.H. Tupper General Merchandise Museum What was once a general store in 1949 has been preserved into a museum where visitors can get a unique glimpse of what life was like for this rural Louisiana town. (311 N Main St, Jennings, Louisiana 70546)
5. H.J. Smith and Sons You’ll feel like you’ve been transported back in time when you step into this unique general store. H.J. Smith and Sons has been a family owned and operated business since 1876, and not much has changed. Partially a museum and partially a general store, you’ll see everything from a 1920s gas pump to a petrified rat. (308 N. Columbia Street, Covington, LA 70433)
6. Worthmore Visit the Frog Capital of Louisiana and check out this fun little general store full of unique items you won’t find anywhere else. (100 Louisiana Avenue, Rayne, LA 70578)
7. Laurel Valley Plantation Store This rustic store has possibly the best homemade pralines you’ll find, but you’ll also be able to pick up fresh gumbo file, homemade jams and jellies and crafts from local artists and vendors. You can also feed the animals, which the kids will absolutely love. (595 Highway 308, Thibodaux, Louisiana 70301)