North Webster Knights ride to victory over St. Mary’s Tigers


By Trent Friedel, exclusive to the Times

Saint Mary’s went on the road last Friday to North Webster. North Webster is north of Minden and it seems near the Arkansas border. The long trip became a longer ride home for the Tigers. The Knights took the opening kick of the game and started at their own 40. They would progress to the Tiger 20 before committing back to back penalties that halt the drive for the moment. The Knights regain footing on the wet field and Tyrell Markray connects on a 27 yard pass to Johnson in the end-zone for their first score. Nelson adds the PAT and the Knights lead 7-0 with almost half of the first quarter expired. Saint Mary’s receives the ensuing kick and is unable to start the offense.

The Tigers get cited for a holding penalty and intentional grounding. Those penalties back the Tigers up to the five yard line and Jordan White has to punt from his own end zone. The kick is partially blocked and the Knights have great field position on the Tiger 12. Coach Wren’s defense comes up big as they halt the Knights and take over on downs at the eight. Parker Bankston gets loose off the left side and rushes to near midfield. That progress would be the end of the drive and the Tigers punt to North Webster. The first quarter expires on the Knight drive. The Tiger defense holds on fourth and short and the Knights punt to Saint Mary’s as the rain continues to fall.

The teams trade illegal procedure penalties before Bankston throws an interception after being chased from the pocket. The Knights score three plays later on a 49 yard touchdown pass from Markray to Nelson and the point after is good. Knights 14, Tigers 0.

Tate Nelson returns the follow on kick to the 49. The good return is quickly squandered as Bankston throws another interception and the Knights take over at the eight. Saint Mary’s defense remains stingy and forces a three and out. The Tigers follow the lead and go three and out also punting to the Knights who take over at their 48.

North Webster fails to move past that point and punts to the Tigers. The punt takes a positive bounce for the Knights backing the Tigers up in their own territory at the four. Saint Mary’s is forced to punt from the end zone on the possession that follows. The punt is blocked going out of bounds in the end zone and ruled a safety. That gives the Knights two points and Saint Mary’s kicks to North Webster from their own 25. Score 16 – 0.

Tragedy strikes when the Knights return the kick for a score. The point after is good and the score stands at Knights 23, Tigers 0. Saint Mary’s gives the ball back to the Knights with less than a minute to go in the first half on another interception. The host Knights score on a screen play from Markray to Johnson. The kick is no good and the Knights take a commanding 29 point lead into the locker room. The third quarter started with the Tigers receiving the kick.

They are aided on the possession with a un-sportsman like call against the Knights when they hit Bankston out of bounds. A running clock is in effect for the second half and time is moving quickly. Saint Mary’s is forced to punt to North Webster after being unable to move the ball. The Knights score again two plays later on a pass from Markray to Johnson who takes the ball 74 yards to the end zone. The kick is good and the score is North Webster 36, Tigers 0. Saint Mary’s would score in the fourth quarter on an 11 yard pass from Bankston to Gallien. Emerson Rodriguez adds the point after and the final score is Knights 36, Tigers7. Big plays and damaging special teams play cost the Tigers this night.

Saint Mary’s will return home this week to host Northwood Lena. The game will be on campus on Thursday evening, a notable first ever game at the school. Saint Mary’s has two regular season games remaining this year.