Natchitoches Parish School Board Director of Curriculum and Instruction Susan Horne has provided information on Parish district scores that were released Tuesday by the La. Dept. of Education. Horne provided a breakdown of Parish district scores for all schools that explains how the scores were broken down according to the state’s formulas.
She says the Dept. of Education released the first in a series of three reports that paint a picture of how well students in each grade are mastering key skills and concepts. Natchitoches Parish had seven schools that increased or maintained the percentage of students scoring mastery or above on the 2019 LEAP assessment in ELA, math and social studies.
Mastery is now considered the level for proficiency; in the past Basic was considered proficient. The scores below reflect performance aligned with the higher expectations and include all grades, 3-12, ELA, math, and social studies combined. Science scores have not been released.
Percentage of students scoring Mastery or Above increased:
1. Fairview Alpha Elementary/ Jr. High +2 2.
M. R. Weaver +3 3.
Marthaville Elementary/ Jr. High +1 4.
N.S.U. Middle Lab School +4
Percentage of students scoring Mastery or Above remained the same:
1. Natchitoches Central High School
2. Natchitoches Parish Technical and Career Center
3. N.S.U. Elementary Lab
Schools that showed significant growth in ELA, math, and/or social studies were as follows:
* Significant growth in ELA (5 percent or greater): N.S.U. Middle Lab
* Significant growth in math (5 percent or greater): N.S.U. Elementary Lab and M.R. Weaver Elementary
* Significant growth in Social Studies (5 percent or greater): Fairview Alpha Elementary, N.S.U. Middle Lab and M.R. Weaver Elementary
* The second of three reports that will focus on student growth/progress will be released in August.