By Sam Karlin, Staff Writer
Three of the nine candidates who signed up to run for governor have been disqualified from the race for failing to file income tax returns, cementing the field of candidates at six for the Oct. 12 primary election.
Republicans Manuel Russell Leach and Patrick J. Doguet, as well as Democrat M.V. “Vinny” Mendoza, were disqualified from the race after a judge found they ran afoul of a state law that requires candidates for political office to have filed state and income federal tax returns for each of the past five years, the Louisiana Secretary of State’s office said.
Another candidate – Patrick “Live Wire” Landry, a Republican who showed off political drawings illustrating “liberal loons” during the qualifying period earlier this month – narrowly avoided the same fate, after a judge tossed out a similar challenge.
The period to challenge a candidate’s qualifications is now over for the governor’s race, meaning the field is now set at six candidates, said Tyler Brey, spokesman for the Secretary of State’s office.
Landry, of New Orleans, along with Leach, a Natchitoches contractor; Doguet, of Rayne; and Mendoza, of Ponchatoula, were challenged by Miracle Hope Lane, an East Feliciana Parish voter, and James R. Bullman, a Baton Rouge attorney. Don Cazayoux, the former congressman and U.S. Attorney, represented the plaintiffs.
See the full story in the Thursday, Aug. 29 print edition or click the E-edition tab above.