On Friday, March 13, Gov. Edwards issued Proclamation Number JBE 2020-27 regarding public health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The proclamation closes all public schools in the state to face-to-face instruction until April 13, 2020. Public schools are encouraged to offer complete distance learning as capabilities exist.
LSMSA has amended its current plan to include the following processes:
- Students will continue to follow the check out procedures outlined for this weekend. The Eagle Buses will depart from Caddo Hall at 1 p.m. on Saturday, March 14, and the residence halls are expected to be empty by Sunday, March 15 at 2 p.m.
- Faculty will meet at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, March 16 in Treen Auditorium to receive additional guidance in and support for online delivery methods for course content.
- Online instruction will begin on Wednesday, March 18 and continue through Friday, April 3. Faculty will initiate communication with students initially by email and advise as other distance education methods as appropriate. Students are expected to meet academic requirements remotely during this time.
- LSMSA’s Spring Break, originally scheduled April 10-19, will be moved to April 4-13. No online instruction will be administered during this break.
- LSMSA’s residence halls will reopen on Monday, April 13 at noon. Eagle Buses will run on April 13 to return students to Natchitoches, and Meal Service will resume in the LSMSA Dining Hall with dinner.
The spring semester will continue, and LSMSA is committed to continuing its mission in delivering high-quality instruction to students. All events scheduled after the return to campus will continue as planned, including Senior Recognition Ceremony and Commencement.