Hurricane Delta to threaten northern Gulf Coast…
Timing and Overview:
- Hurricane Delta is forecast to move generally west-northwest across the western Caribbean and the Yucatan Peninsula today and tonight and strengthen into a major hurricane.
- Delta is expected to enter the Gulf of Mexico by Wednesday morning and is expected to bring impacts to the northern Gulf coast from Thursday night through Saturday morning as a Category 2 hurricane.
- While the forecast track has shifted slightly westward, it appears at this time that the worst inland impacts (flooding/wind damage) from Delta will be east of the ArkLaMiss.
Four State Impacts:
- 3-5 inches of heavy rainfall (with isolated higher amounts) will be possible in the ArkLaMiss and portions of central Louisiana late Thursday into Saturday. Lesser amounts can be expected for areas westward.
- Localized flash flooding cannot be ruled out at this time with no river flooding anticipated.
- A more westward track would increase rainfall amounts and the potential for flash flooding.