BATON ROUGE, La. — Disaster Legal Services (DLS) provides free legal assistance to low-income hurricane survivors who cannot afford to hire a lawyer after a disaster.
Members of the American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division advise and provide legal representation at no charge. There are certain limitations. Assistance is not available for cases that will produce a fee (i.e., cases where fees are paid as part of a court settlement).
DSL has assisted thousands of survivors with disaster-recovery problems including:
- Insurance claims for doctor and hospital bills;
- Claims for property loss or loss of life;
- Drawing up new wills or other legal papers;
- Help with home repair contracts and contractors; and
- Advice on problems with landlords.
- Transferring Title to Property
To see if you live in a disaster-declared parish, visit: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4570.