BATON ROUGE, La. – Just one week remains for Louisiana homeowners, renters or business owners who sustained property damage or loss caused by severe winter storms to register and apply for federal disaster assistance. Registration is also available to those who had to relocate to a hotel because their utilities failed, and insurance didn’t cover their hotel stay. The deadline to register for assistance from FEMA and to apply for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is Monday, May 10.
You should register even if you have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but eligible homeowners and renters may be able to receive a grant from FEMA for losses not covered by insurance to help pay for basic home repairs, temporary rental assistance and other needs such as replacing personal property.
- Going online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Downloading the FEMA app.
- Calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585
Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, InnoCaption or CapTel should alert FEMA as to the specific number assigned to that service.
FEMA specialists are available at the Helpline to answer your questions about how to register for federal disaster assistance, explain what’s happening with your application and give tips on how you can get help for damage your insurance does not cover.
U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Loans are available for Louisiana disaster survivors.
- For businesses of any size and private nonprofit organizations: up to $2 million for property damage.
- For small businesses, small businesses engaged in aquaculture and most private nonprofit organizations: up to $2 million for working capital needs even if they had no property damage, with a $2 million maximum loan for any combination of property damage and working capital needs.
- For homeowners: up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence.
- For homeowners and renters: up to $40,000 to replace personal property, including vehicles.
Businesses and residents can apply online at www.sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance. For questions and assistance completing an application, call 800-659-2955 or email FOCWAssistance@sba.gov.