The Natchitoches Parish School Board has revised their back-to-school plan for the 2021-22 school year. After Gov. John Bel Edwards’ press conference Aug. 2, the Natchitoches Parish School Board created operational guidelines to answer questions and concerns surrounding Covid-19.
The official 2021-22 NPSB Covid-19 guidelines address topics such as facial coverings, sanitization, Covid testing and quarantines.
“NPSB’s highest responsibility is student safety,” said Supt. Dr. Grant Eloi, “and this plan outlines just how we manage to do that this year.”
Guidelines: (condensed version. Visit link below for full text)
- While inside the school facility face coverings will be worn at all times by all staff and students ages 5 and above. While outside, masks do not need to be worn. Neck gaiters are allowed but must be “doubled up.”
TRANSPORTATION: Buses are allowed to operate at 100% capacity. All passengers must wear a facial covering regardless of capacity.
- Windows should be kept open when it does not create a safety or health hazard.
- GROUP SIZES/PHYSICAL DISTANCING: Maximum group size (indoors) should be determined by physical distancing requirements.
- 4 year old students who are unable to wear face coverings or maintain a physical distance from others should be assigned static groups.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE: Students and employees will continue to have access to hand washing stations and hand sanitizer throughout the day.
- • MONITORING AND SCREENING FOR COVID-19 SYMPTOMS: Schools will continue to screen students/staff (temperature checks) at the beginning of each school day.
- NPSB allows for “covid leave.” This applies if a staff member is positive, under quarantine or caring for a household member who is positive
- COVID TESTING: Through a partnership with LSUHS all students and staff may participate in weekly Covid testing. This is NOT mandatory; it is 100% voluntary. Weekly testing will occur at every school location. This is not for symptomatic individuals. This program is free and requires parental consent.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CLEANING: Natchitoches Parish Schools will continue its efforts toward daily cleaning and disinfecting. High-touch surfaces should be cleaned at least twice per day, including bathrooms
- Traditional drinking fountains will remain closed. Schools have water filling stations available.
- VISITORS: Schools will continue to limit nonessential visitors, volunteers and activities involving external groups or organizations.
- School visitors must wear a face covering and submit to temperature screening upon arrival.
- LARGE GATHERINGS: Spectators at indoor events will be required to wear masks.
- Assemblies and other large gatherings are limited to the maximum group size allowed by social distancing. Those younger students unable to mask, must maintain static groupings.
- Field trips are currently not allowed.
- BAND, VOCAL and MUSIC:
- Band or vocal activities may occur indoors or outdoors. Indoor concerts can be held in accordance with theaters, concert, or music hall guidance found at la.gov.
- COVID-19 SYMPTOMATIC INDIVIDUALS: If Covid-19 symptoms arise during the school day for a student, schools will isolate students and inform parents to pick up their child.
- CONFIRMED COVID POSITIVE CASE RESPONSE: • Parents/Staff should inform administration of positive cases for contact tracing to occur.
- Athletics in high school and middle school will follow the Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA). Any changes LHSAA makes throughout the year will be followed.
- Masks are not required of athletes during sporting events.
For more information and to read the complete text of NPSB’s Covid-19 Guidelines, including quarantine information, visit npsb.la/Covid-Guidelines.
Contact the NPSB nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.